Sunday, September 30, 2012

Clinging to the Word

I love the Old Testament.....I especially love the book of Deuteronomy.  It is full of good instruction.
I want to focus for just a moment on Deuteronomy 32: 46:47

 And he said to them:  "Set your hearts on all the words which I testify among you today, which  you shall command your children to be careful to observe- all the words of this law."
"For it is not a futile thing for you, because it is your life, and by this word you shall prolong your days in the land which you cross over the Jordan to possess."

Let's look at the context- Moses is nearing death.  He is giving final instruction to the people.  Israel is about to finish her journey into the promised land.  Chapter 32 is called "the song of Moses".  Nearing the end of his song he reminds the people to set their hears on all the words he has spoken telling them it is not a "futile thing for you" but rather "it is your life"

The Hebrew word for "futile" here is better translated "empty"

What a great reminder and last words of instruction from Moses.  We need to cling to the Word of God and heed it's instruction.

I grew up in church and in a Christian school.  I can't remember a time when I did not have a Bible- in fact, I have always been around plenty of Bibles.  My Christian school had us memorize plenty of Scripture (I thank God for that) - so I have a lot of head knowledge about the Bible.  While that is wonderful, I must be careful that I do not take it for granted and treat it as a "futile" thing.  If not careful, I could easily take it for granted (and I have at times) because I've always been around it.

The Bible, the Word of God, is our life.  Just like blood must continue circulating throughout our bodies to keep us physically alive, so must the word of God be forever circulating in our bodies to keep us spiritually alive.

I am a nurse and throughout my nursing career of 25+  years, I have given death care to more patients then I care to think about.  A corpse has blood in him- he died because the blood was no longer circulating.

We can have the Word of God in us but if it is not circulating through our bodies (reading it/applying it/heeding it/ clinging to it) we will have a dead spiritual life

Throughout the book of Deuteronomy, you will hear Moses over and over again say these words "be careful".

We must be careful to not forsake the Word of God or not neglect the Word of God but rather cling to it - as it is our life.

If we were bleeding today we would know to act quickly- to apply pressure to stop the bleeding, to call 911, to seek help immediately  for we understand that the life of the flesh is in the blood.  So must we take the same action when we find ourselves slipping from the Word of God or treating it lightly.- our very life depends on it.!

So many times throughout my life when I have been confused or upset about something, I have slept clinging to my Bible like it was a teddy bear.  Not because there is any magic that happens by clinging to the Book physically but because I had been reading it and clinging to the words on the pages spoken to me by the Holy Spirit that I did not want to let it go, I could not let it go

Cling to it today- it is your life

To God be the glory